At Best Home Care, we know that as our loved ones get older it is important to be aware of any and all health conditions that could be a danger to them. There is nothing worse than being present during a medical emergency and not knowing how to help or what to do.
One of the most dangerous health risks for seniors is a stroke. This occurs when there is an interruption of blood to the brain. The lapse of blood triggers the death of brain cells by depriving them of oxygen.
Strokes can cause permanent brain damage, paralysis, or even death. But being aware of warning signs and knowing how to handle the situation can make all the difference in the outcome. Here are some warning signs of a stroke to look out for:
- Facial Drooping: If one side of the face is lopsided or drooping, ask the person to smile. In looking at their smile if one side of the face is still uneven, this could be a sign of stroke.
- Arm Weakness: There is usually weakness in one side of the body, in the arms and legs, as well as a side of the face. If you ask the individual to hold both arms up and one is hanging lower, this is a strong sign of something bigger.
- Confusion: Showing signs of confusion or difficulty speaking, forming sentences, and understanding what is being said is another sign of a possible stroke.
- Dizziness: Especially sudden and severe dizziness and loss of balance or coordination is something to take note of.
- Headache: Ask the individual if they have any pain in their head, especially pain that comes on suddenly and strongly.
If you or someone you‘re with is experiencing these symptoms, call 9-1-1 immediately to seek prompt medical attention.
You can learn more about finding quality home care for the elderly, pediatric home care, or home care for those with disabilities by visiting our website. Our team of home care professionals specialize in helping those in need find the best personal care assistant, home nursing, home caregivers, or home care assistance for their own unique needs.